On the east bank of the River Barrow is St. Mullin's, a monastery which was founded by St. Moling: a prince, poet, artist and artisan, as well as a priest, who died in 696. He became Bishop of Ferns and was buried at St. Mullin's. The monastery was plundered by the Vikings in 951 and was burned in 1138. An abbey was built on the site later, in the Middle Ages. In an 8th century manuscript, known as The Book of Mulling" there is a plan of the monastery the earliest known plan of an Irish monastery-which shows four crosses inside the round monastic wall and eight crosses outside it. The symbol of the shamrock is from a legend about St. Patrick that says he used a shamrock with its three leaves to explain the Trinity, the triple nature of God.
10" x 5" : Cast Stone, Celtic Art Collection, Made in the U.S.A.
The Premier and Trusted Museum Store Company for Ancient Art,
Artifacts of Antiquity, Historic Museum Jewelry Reproductions, Museum Reproductions, Art History Replicas,
Archaeology & Museum Gifts.
Own a Piece of
History...Give a Piece of History(tm) - Established 1997
All purchases subject to the notices, policies, terms and conditions listed
in "About Us". Item
descriptions are entirely informational without any claim to
origin or manufacture. None of our products are Indian made or an Indian product under U.S.C.305et.seq. Not responsible for errors/omissions. Items are
for decorative use only. WARNING: Toys, games, and other items may
contain small parts which pose a choking hazard and are not for
children under 3. Adult supervision is recommended for all of our
items. All brand related trademarks are licensed trademarks of Museum Store Company and Arden Technologies, Inc. All Rights Reserved