Mellifont Cross - Co. Louth, Ireland
Although the original of this cross is located among the ruins of the Monasterboice monastery, we have chosen to name it after the neighboring Mellifont Abbey. Mellifont was the first Cistercian monastery to be established in Ireland. It was completed in 1225. Thirty-five in all soon followed. All that remains at Mellifont are an imposing doorway and a wonderfully carved octagonal washing area, the lavabo. This design is covered with ivy leaves, a symbol of everlasting life, and the shamrocks of Ireland. In the center is a circle of knot work, also representing everlasting life and God around who everything revolves. The HIS symbol at the top is popular in Ireland and means Jesus, Savior of Man or Jesus, Lord, Savior.
14" x 7" : Cast Stone, Celtic Art Collection, Made in the U.S.A.