This unusual 9th century cross is found in the graveyard of the cathedral of St. Macartan which stands at the crest of Clogher's main street. The cathedral was originally built in the 5th century and later rebuilt in 1744. St. Macartan cathedral was the center of the oldest bishopric in Ireland until it was moved to the larger town of Enniskillen in Co. Fermanagh. Next to the school, behind the cathedral, stands the Iron Age fort that was once the seat of the Kings of Oriel, a powerful local tribe. From it there is a clear view of Brackenridge's Folly, 2 miles to the south. The folly was built by the 19th-century squire George Brackenridge who, because he was not accepted into local society, built this conspicuous mausoleum so the people would at least take notice of him when he was dead. Along the shaft and arms of the cross is a representation of wheat, symbolizing plentiful harvests and prosperity. The knotwork at the bottom is non ending, reflecting eternal life.
8.5" x 5" : Cast Stone, Celtic Art Collection, Made in the U.S.A.
The Premier and Trusted Museum Store Company for Ancient Art,
Artifacts of Antiquity, Historic Museum Jewelry Reproductions, Museum Reproductions, Art History Replicas,
Archaeology & Museum Gifts.
Own a Piece of
History...Give a Piece of History(tm) - Established 1997
All purchases subject to the notices, policies, terms and conditions listed
in "About Us". Item
descriptions are entirely informational without any claim to
origin or manufacture. None of our products are Indian made or an Indian product under U.S.C.305et.seq. Not responsible for errors/omissions. Items are
for decorative use only. WARNING: Toys, games, and other items may
contain small parts which pose a choking hazard and are not for
children under 3. Adult supervision is recommended for all of our
items. All brand related trademarks are licensed trademarks of Museum Store Company and Arden Technologies, Inc. All Rights Reserved