St. Andrews in Fife, became the most important Christian center in Scotland by the 10th century. This beautifully simple cross design was take from a fragment of a large cross shaft. This and other fragments were found built into the foundations of the east end of the new cathedra", begun in AD 1160. This new Cathedral has been in ruins for centuries. The ring or wheel around the outside of the cross was originally a symbol of Christ derived from the chi-rho monogram, although it is likely that the outer circle came to symbolize heaven (in conforming with ancient symbolism) and the center of the cross, Christ in the center of heaven.
7" x 5.5" : Cast Stone, Celtic Art Collection, Made in the U.S.A.
The Premier and Trusted Museum Store Company for Ancient Art,
Artifacts of Antiquity, Historic Museum Jewelry Reproductions, Museum Reproductions, Art History Replicas,
Archaeology & Museum Gifts.
Own a Piece of
History...Give a Piece of History(tm) - Established 1997
All purchases subject to the notices, policies, terms and conditions listed
in "About Us". Item
descriptions are entirely informational without any claim to
origin or manufacture. None of our products are Indian made or an Indian product under U.S.C.305et.seq. Not responsible for errors/omissions. Items are
for decorative use only. WARNING: Toys, games, and other items may
contain small parts which pose a choking hazard and are not for
children under 3. Adult supervision is recommended for all of our
items. All brand related trademarks are licensed trademarks of Museum Store Company and Arden Technologies, Inc. All Rights Reserved