New York Public Library Lions Bookends, Edward Clark Potter (1857-1923) - NYPL
The monumental marble lions which flank the Main Library's steps in mid-Manhattan were put in place in 1911 and have since acquired the nicknames of "Patience" and "Fortitude." They were carved of pink Tennessee marble, resting on bases of Milford granite. Their size is appropriate to the proportions of the neo-Renaissance building designed by Carrere & Hastings. These reduced models were created under the supervision of the New York Public Library.
Pair of Bookends: Each Lion is 7 1/2" H x 3 7/8" W x 7 1/4 D : Approx. 4.5lbs each.